From ShortGut - Wiki
Treatments for Short Gut
- Omegaven -- A very promising new treatment for liver damage that is apparently caused by the standard omega-6 based lipid provided in TPN. This is really saving lives!
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) -- IV nutrition through a central venous catheter (CVC), aka central venous line or simply central line
- Transplant (including artificial intestine developments) -- intestine (plus liver) transplant.
- Diet -- optimizing GI function, prebiotics/probiotics, milk/formulas, continuous/bolus feeds, etc.
- Surgery -- various surgical operations for lengthening or otherwise modifying the intestine.
- Infections -- how to treat (and prevent?) line infections that are the bane of short gut patients.