This page explains how to install emergent on Microsoft Windows. It also includes known issues and troubleshooting tips. If you plan on recompiling emergent from source or developing or compiling plugins, see Build Windows 2016.
- 64bit Windows 10 required: First install MSVC++ 2015 (runtime C++ libraries, select vcredist_x64.exe -- only if you haven't done this already) and then install emergent-8.5.2-11409-win64.exe or for Windows versions < 10: emergent-8.5.2-11409-win64-qt53.exe
- optional long-term-support (LTS) emergent7 compatibility package for old sims: emergent-7.1.0-11409-win64.exe (depends on 8.5.2 install - now a regular installer exe -- just run it and accept default location to install)
We have two versions of windows packages available. The main one works only on Windows 10 and uses a more advanced Qt library that offers various under-the-hood performance advantages and likely has fewer bugs, etc. The
_qt53 version should work on any version of Windows (including in virtual machines) but uses an older version Qt (5.3.2) that may have various issues, but should work fine for most cases. Both are only for 64 bit processors.
- You must install the MSVC++ 2015 redistributable package from Microsoft before installing the emergent package:
- Download the installation .exe file
- Double-click the .exe and it will guide you through the installation process.
- To improve performance, set the process priority to "High" by Starting Task Manager, select the "Processes" tab, right-clicking on the "emergent.exe" process, select "Set Priority" --> High.
If you get an error about
MSVCR100.dll not found when trying to run emergent, you need to grab this version of the MSVC++ 2010 runtime:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523 -- It is not clear why this affects some people and not others.. And furthermore you may even need to get another version such as 2012 if you get a similar kind of error and this doesn't fix it! Why don't these things just come with the OS??
Open GL Drivers Required!!
emergent will not work if you do not have recent graphics card drivers installed (this is true for both versions). The main version requires OpenGL 2.1 or higher support that is only in Windows 10 or higher, while the
_qt53 version is not quite as demanding but typically still requires updated drivers. The program may start up but when you open a project it will crash or not display properly. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Device Manager from the Control Panel or Setup menus, available from the Start menu
- Find Display Adapters and click them to reveal the list of installed drivers -- generally there should be only 1. You need to find the name of the manufacturer and then go to their website and download the latest version of the driver. Here is a list of commonly-used card manufactuerers:
You need to reboot your computer before the new driver will take effect. In rare cases you may need to uninstall the existing driver, reboot, then install the new one.
- 64bit only: First install MSVC++ 2010, MSVC++ 2012, and MSVC++ 2013 (runtime C++ libraries, select vcredist_x64.exe for each -- only needed if you haven't done this already) and then install emergent-8.5.2-7737-win64.exe.