Opening unsigned packages
Hold down the control key when you click on the package file, then select Open from the popup menu, and then click on the Open option. If you don't do this, you get an opaque message about the package not being trusted..
TODO: is this needed??
If emergent seems to have installed correctly, but you are unable to run it, the problem could be a permissions issue. Possible symptoms are:
- Getting an error message such as "You can't open the application emergent.app because it may be damaged or incomplete",
- A stop sign on top of software icon, which typically indicates it's not for this version of OS X,
- Getting this kind of response when trying to run emergent from the terminal:
$ emergent -bash: emergent: command not found $ which emergent $ ls /usr/local/bin ls: bin: Permission denied
This might happen if your account is not an administrator account. To fix, do this:
$ cd /usr/local $ sudo chmod -R +rX bin # Case sensitive!!
If you get an error such as this:
$ emergent dyld: Library not loaded: Inventor.framework/Versions/C/Inventor Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/emergent Reason: image not found Trace/BPT trap
The problem might be that you need to run the emergent_install_deps script to get the relevant dependencies.
If you can't start emergent from a Terminal window by typing emergent, it is probably because /usr/local/bin is not in your path. To check:
$ echo $PATH /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin $ cat /etc/paths /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/local/bin
If you don't see it when you type those commands, add it:
$ sudo bash -c 'echo /usr/local/bin >> /etc/paths'
Then restart your Terminal and emergent should be accessible from the command line. This will also allow you to compile plugins from within emergent, since maketa is also located in /usr/local/bin.
- Build Mac Homebrew -- uses the homebrew packaging system to handle all the dependency libraries.
- 10.8 / 10.9, 10.10: Install emergent_install_mac_deps-7.0.0.dmg (note: this release uses same dependencies as 7.0.0 -- no need to re-install) and then either emergent-7.0.1-7737-mac64.dmg (10.9, 10.10) or emergent-7.0.1-7464-mac64-10.8.dmg (10.8). After downloading, right click and select open.
- 10.7: Only 6.3.2 is avail: Install emergent-6.3.2-6447-mac64-lion.dmg, qt-mac-opensource-4.8.2.dmg and Subversion-1.7.13_10.7.x.pkg.
- 10.6 32 bit: only 6.1.0 is avail: Install emergent-6.1.0-5751-mac32.dmg